That’s my nephew, Ben. When he was just two years old he was diagnosed with autism. Autism affects 1 in 88 children in the U.S. One in 54 of them are boys. On April 2nd, join Autism Speaks in celebrating World Autism Awareness Day and Light It Up Blue to help shine a light on autism. You can show your support by:
- Purchasing special Autism Speaks blue light bulbs and lanterns from your local Home Depot and replace your outdoor lighting with these blue bulbs.
- Promoting Light It Up Blue by purchasing a Home, Retail, Restaurant, or School kit, in an all inclusive package, with all net proceeds benefiting Autism Speaks.
- Wearing blue clothing and asking your co-workers to wear blue too. Consider asking your colleagues to donate $5 to Autism Speaks.
- Hosting a cocktail party and serving blue-themed food and drinks.
- Helping raise awareness about autism by spreading the word via email, Facebook, Twitter, or your personal blog or website.