Kale showed up in our farm share for the first time this summer and I was actually pretty excited about it. (I know. I’m lame.) I was excited because I tried this amazing raw kale salad at a restaurant a few months ago and have been patiently waiting to make it when it was in season. I really never thought I could like kale this much because our relationship has always been a little love-hate. I think it was because I never really knew what to do with it. That is, until I discovered this salad.
Raw Kale Salad
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive or canola oil
- 1 finely diced green onion, white part only
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch of kale, washed, stems removed and chopped
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 2-3 stalks of celery, diced
In small bowl combine vinegar, oil, onion, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined. In a large bowl combine remaining ingredients and top with dressing. Mix by hand, sort of massaging the kale so it begins to break down. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. It will taste best if used within a day.